|
|
|
The Carthage Press
  • Fire leaves Carthage family with nothing

  • Last Tuesday, a Carthage family was struck with a tragedy that only left them with the clothes on their backs.
    • email print
      Comment
  • Last Tuesday, a Carthage family was struck with a tragedy that only left them with the clothes on their backs.
    Dustin and Summer Koskela, their children, Brooklyn, almost 3, and Caden, 1, were left homeless and with no possessions at all when their home burned to the ground Tuesday at 1303 Hazel.
    They had rented the home since the beginning of the year.
    Summer described that day as if it were still a bad dream. With Dustin and Caden sleeping in the home, Summer stepped away from her cooking to check on Brooklyn outside. Her cousin came to the home with her young child, and the child went inside.
    “He came back outside, just as calm as can be, and said 'your house is on fire,'” Summer said. “I ran inside and got Caden, and tried to shake Dustin awake.”
    Dustin grabbed the fire extinguisher, which was in the house when the family moved in, and it was empty. The home also had no smoke alarms.
    At 11:04 a.m., the Carthage Fire Department responded, but it was too late to save the house.
    After the fire, the Koskelas found out the house was uninsured.
    “I cried that whole day,” Summer said. “My daughter cries when we go by the house.”
    The American Red Cross was able to give the family $100 for lodging, $115 for food, and $130 for clothing. As a stay-at-home mother, Summer says she's hesitant to spend much of anything. Dustin works at USA Metals, in Joplin.
    For now, the family is staying with Summer's cousin on Case Street. To get ahold of the family, private message at  “https://www.facebook.com/summerdustin.koskela.”

        calendar