|
|
|
The Carthage Press
  • Carthage woman hospitalized after fire

  • Carthage firefighters say a woman was hospitalized after fire broke out in her house on Forest Street early Wednesday morning.
    • email print
  • Carthage firefighters say a woman was hospitalized after fire broke out in her house on Forest Street early Wednesday morning.
    The fire was reported to the fire department as a residential structure fire with someone trapped inside at 3:17 a.m. Wednesday in the home at 1047 Forest St. in Carthage.
    Carthage Fire Chief Chris Thompson said upon arrival, fire crews found a single story home with smoke showing from the roofline.
    "Firefighters immediately made entry into the residence to search for the occupant," Thompson said in a written release. "Firefighters found moderate fire involvement in the living room area during their initial search. Crews performed an aggressive fire attack and then continued their search."
    Thompson said firefighters found the woman who lives in the home in a bedroom adjacent to the living room and brought her out of the bedroom by way of a window.
    She was taken to Mercy Hospital Carthage for treatment.
    Thompson said the cause of the fire was accidental and it was traced to an overheated electrical cord in the living room.
    He said the home was heavily damaged by smoke, heat and water as well as the fire.
    A neighbor said the woman who was rescued from the home had rented it for several years.
      • calendar