|
|
|
The Carthage Press
  • Bequests create three new funds for Carthage Foundation

  • Three new endowment funds totaling more than $1.25 million have been opened with the Carthage Community Foundation, established by bequest from the estate plans of Carthage residents interested in leaving a lasting legacy for future generations in the Carthage community.
    • email print
  • Three new endowment funds totaling more than $1.25 million have been opened with the Carthage Community Foundation, established by bequest from the estate plans of Carthage residents interested in leaving a lasting legacy for future generations in the Carthage community.
    Two of the funds, the Thelma M. Stanley Scholarship Fund and the Marsh Family Foundation Fund, were established by a bequest from the estate of Thelma M. (Marsh) Stanley.
    The Marsh Family Foundation Fund, named in honor of Thelma’s parents, John N. and Ella C. Marsh, is an unrestricted fund to be used for charitable purposes at the discretion of the CCF board for projects serving youth, education, and the visual and performing arts, with particular emphasis on healthcare and indigent housing needs.
    The Thelma M. Stanley Scholarship Fund will fund two annual scholarships of $3,500 per year, which will go to full-time college student (freshman or above) who graduated from Carthage High School, where Thelma taught for 15 years and was the librarian for five more. Specific criteria for the award are still being determined.
    Thelma M. (Marsh) Stanley was born on March 19, 1910, on Olive Street in Carthage, graduating from Carthage High School in 1927. After 20 years as a teacher and librarian in Carthage, she married Silas Morton Stanley in 1951. She and Silas returned to Carthage in 1960 where she was active at First Presbyterian Church and many civic organizations.
    A third fund, the Kenneth and Addean MacArthur Trust Fund, was established by the estate of Addean MacArthur. It may be used at the discretion of the CCF board, with preference for local organizations that assist youth, the poor and the homeless, and those that care for animals.
    Addean (Curlee) MacArthur was born in Carthage in 1920 to Solomon L. Curlee and Susan L. (Franks) Curlee. Following the death of her husband, Kenneth, she returned to Carthage in 1998 to be with her sister, Velma Van Pelt. During her life she lived in locations around the world, including South America, southern California, and Las Vegas, Nev.
    Traditionally, four percent of the year-end (June 30) balance of such funds is made available to the CCF for its community grant-making programs. This means four percent of the total balance from the Marsh Family Foundation Fund and the MacArthur Family Foundation Fund will be available for distribution on July 1, 2014. The Thelma M. Stanley Scholarship Fund will award for the first time in the spring of 2014.
    "With these gifts, Thelma Stanley and Addean MacArthur join a growing list of Carthage residents who thought it important to leave a legacy to future generations by establishing funds with the Carthage Community Foundation,” said CCF Board Chair Don LaFerla. “Their generosity means that CCF grant-making could enjoy a fourfold increase after July 2014."
    The Carthage Community Foundation partners with individuals and companies to establish donor-advised, designated, and field-of-interest funds, and now administers more than 60 total funds. These new gifts bring the CCF’s total assets to approximately $7.5 million. The CCF is an affiliate of Community Foundation of the Ozarks, with total assets of $233 million as of Sept. 30, 2013.
      • calendar