A resident's report telling police the location of a vehicle suspected in a burglary early Friday morning led to a pursuit and the arrest of two people thought to have been involved in that burglary.
Carthage Police Chief Greg Dagnan said Adam Evans, 29, and Amber Gilmore, 27, both of Joplin, were arrested hiding not far from where they abandoned their car in a field near County Road 110 and Kafir Road north of Missouri Highway 96 and east of Carthage.
Dagnan said the burglary happened at a home on Wendy Lane in Carthage.
“Through the help of a citizen, the vehicle was located in different part of town,” Dagnan said. “An officer attempted to stop the vehicle, but it fled. Since the occupants were suspected of a felony, the burglary, there was a pursuit east out of town that ended near County Road 110 and Kafir Road.”
Dagnan said the driver took the Toyota car into a field and got it stuck in the mud before the driver and passenger abandoned it and fled on foot.
Officers with the police department and the Jasper County Sheriff's Office set up a perimeter, and the Sheriff's Office search dogs were called in.
The dogs located the two individuals hiding in the area.
Dagnan said there is some possibility that this burglary is related to the burglary at McBride's Antiques on the Carthage Square early Thursday morning.
“We had a burglary on the Square Thursday morning and we've apprehended two people suspected of burglary now,” Dagnan said. “Of course there's the possibility that they're connected, but we're still investigating them.”
Dagnan said someone forced their way into McBride's, located on Fourth Street on the south side of the Square sometime in the overnight hours before dawn on Thursday.
Dagnan said officers released a list of items stolen from the store, something of an unusual move in many criminal investigations.
“In this case, there were a lot of very unique items that we think will be very recognizable,” Dagnan said. “We think people might recognize some of the items.”
The items included:
• Three Mickey Mantle baseball cards
• One Yogi Berra card
• 1966 Marvel cards
• 1966 Batman Cards, unknown amount taken
• Jay Cutler Rookie cards
• Plate with picture of a dog on it, inside of a red box with German writing on it.
• Approx 18” Hulk Figurine autographed by Luke Ferrigno – Unk value
• Silver sports watches bearing the logos of the Dallas Cowboys, Minnesota Vikings, St. Louis Cardinals and Denver Broncos.
• Batgirl Figurine (approximately 18”)
Page 2 of 2 - • Three travel clocks (old style clocks)
• Russian pins and medals. They will have Russian symbols on them and be attached to a colored ribbon.
• Avon Necklace/Jewelry set (blue and silver)
• Sideshow 0224 12-inch figure w/ stand.
• P12 Kiss Set
• Mego Green Hulk Photo signed by Lou Ferrigno
• Aprox 33 DS and GDA games.
• Six PS3 360 games.
• Four Gameboy games.
• James Guewa King & I Retro Motorcycle art S/N Canvas.
• Total None Stop Action Wrestling Guitar, autographed by pro wrestlers. Tan front dark back acoustic guitar sold at live wrestling shows.
• 1997 Large Brass Denver Broncos super bowl Coin in red velvet case.
Anyone spotting any of these items is asked to call the Police Department at 237-7200.