A little after 1 p.m. Wednesday, Carthage Fire Department responded to a fire that engulfed a tractor pulling a bailer at 2721 Morgan Heights Rd., Carthage.
No one was injured in the incident. Firefighters on scene said the fire was caused by a combination of an overheated engine and dry hay.
Firefighters battled temperatures in excess of 100 degrees to fight the blaze. The National Weather Service has placed the area under an excessive heat warning until 7 p.m. Saturday.
Forecasters say temperatures will reach or exceed 100 for the rest of the week with heat indices exceeding 105 degrees.
The Weather Service recommends rescheduling strenuous activities until the early evening hours. It also recommends people wear light-weight, lose-fitting clothes, drink plenty of water and schedule frequent rest breaks in shaded or air conditioned places when working outside.