Carthage firefighters say a faulty electrical device of some kind caused a fire in the kitchen of the home at 724 Olive St. on Thursday.


Carthage firefighters say a faulty electrical device of some kind caused a fire in the kitchen of the home at 724 Olive St. on Thursday.

No one was home at the time of the fire and the Missouri State Fire Marshall’s Office was called in to investigate.

The fire department said flames were coming from the kitchen area when they arrived to battle the fire in a moderate rainstorm.

The fire destroyed the kitchen area of the home, cause heavy smoke damage to rooms adjoining the kitchen and lighter smoke damage to other rooms in the two-story wood-framed home.

Firefighters responded to the alarm at 9:43 a.m. on Thursday and were on scene until 11:30 a.m. No one was injured in the fire.

Crash

Then at 4:55 p.m., firefighters responded to a vehicle crash on Civil War Road at the intersection with Locust Road north of Carthage.

Firefighters said a passenger was ejected from one of the vehicles.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol report said Alex D. Curry, 17, Carthage, was injured and taken by ambulance to St. John’s Regional Medical Center in Joplin for treatment.

The patrol said Curry was a passenger in a 2002 GMC Yukon driven by Stephanie Marroquin, 19, Carthage and was not wearing a seatbelt. Marroquin was listed as wearing the safety belt.

The patrol said Marroquin’s vehicle tried to cross a road traveling north and failed to yield to a 2005 Chevrolet pickup, driven by Ben Baugh, 31, Carthage.

Baugh’s truck hit Maroquin’s SUV broadside.

Baugh, who was also wearing a seatbelt, and Marroquin were not injured in the crash.