- Residents remember Civil Way Battle of Carthage at Vespers Service
- Posted July 25, 2012 midnight
- More than a dozen area residents gathered on July 5, the 151st anniversary of the Civil War Battle of Carthage to remember the soldiers who fought on both sides of one of the first battles of the American Civil War. Author Steve Cottrell led the gathering and read parts of the late Marvin VanGIlder's 2009 presentation about the battle. VanGilder led these Vespers Services for decades before passing away in 2010. About 50 soldiers died on both sides of the battle, which started nine miles north of Carthage and continued throughout the day as the outnumbered Union forces retreated through town.
More Photo Galleries
Subscribe to our print edition today and keep up with all the latest news and views from our community.
- Top Stories
- Committee sends parades to council
- Resurfacing project in Carthage delayed
- Council discusses radios, taxes, fire
- Disc golf course nears reality
- Friendly basketball game benefits Food for Thought program
- Square fire ruled accidental
- Day of Caring set Friday
- CMS to conclude week-long book fair with family night
- Victim found in Kellogg Lake Park to undergo toxicology for off...
- Local team honors long-time cancer fighter
- Dead man found under bridge
- Read more top stories